Saturday, August 4, 2007

...because it's god-awful wrong.

I'm 71, and I'm not stupid. Therefore, I know that if I had spent my life as a black man rather than a white man, my life would have been markedly different. Probably not for the better. Because I would have lived my life in a racist society. I would have been one of the oppressed. I would have been denied basic civil and human rights. I would have received an inferior education in segregated schools. I would have been blatantly told by many whites that I was inferior. And I would have been treated as inferior. With lack of respect. And nowadays I’d be told you blacks have come a long way. You are treated better today than you were treated when you were a young man. And I’d tell the white folks that ain’t good enough. I want full equality of opportunity and privilege. Just as if I were white. And I’d remind the white folks that I’ve been disadvantaged all my life because I was denied my basic rights as a human being from the very beginning. It hampered me. Sure, I overcame in many, many ways. But still, it was much more of a struggle than if I had been born white. I was discriminated against solely because of my skin color. And hey, that’s arbitrary. And it’s unfair. And if you tell me that things have changed for the better and that blacks are now on equal footing with the whites, then I’d say you are either blind to reality, or you’re a liar.

Meanwhile, I know that I’m white. And I know that gives me a distinct advantage. Very much so. And I’m one of those whites who admits that’s wrong. It’s downright immoral. And I aim to do something about it. By becoming a traitor to the white supremacy cause. I hereby renounce the practice of white supremacy, and I’ll try my best to do something about it. I don’t want to be a privileged white anymore…because it’s god-awful wrong. --Jim Broede

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I must agree, prejudice, in any form, is a terrible injustice. It crumbles the heart and lets the soul fire go out.

You have started out well on your blog, Jim. But, are you really 1971 years old?(according to your profile) Oh my, you are really well preserved!