Saturday, August 4, 2007

It wouldn't be the same love I have for Jeanne.

I think there were times during the 13-year ordeal with Alzheimer’s that I questioned whether I loved Jeanne totally. Unconditionally. I was being put to the test. I had an excruciating inner struggle with myself. I had to dig deep into my soul. When I was depressed and tired and literally exhausted mentally, physically, emotionally. But I came through. And in those last 38 months, I never doubted that I loved Jeanne with all my heart and soul. Totally. Unconditionally. I was hooked on Jeanne. Smitten. Because of the big picture. Because of our almost 40 years together. Our shared experiences and intimacies. We had become a part of each other. A blend. A mix. In a real sense, we had become one. Almost impossible to live without each other. Even now, I have to cling to Jeanne’s spirit. To the fond memory. I still have to commune with Jeanne’s spirit. Daily. I need Jeanne, and I think she needs me. I can’t imagine myself loving another being again to the degree that I love Jeanne. Oh, I can still love. But I don’t think it would be a total thing. I can still be kind and gentle and very loving to another. But it wouldn’t be the same love I have for Jeanne. --Jim Broede

No comments: