Saturday, September 1, 2007

Sweet dreams...of being a butterfly.

I still remember the day. It was cold. Below freezing. But sunny. Calm. Pleasant. Invigorating. Jeanne wrapped in a bulky thermal sleeping bag. A cocoon. Strapped in a wheelchair. Off we go. For 7 miles. Then we’re back in Jeanne’s room at the nursing home. I unwrap Jeanne. Slowly. And I exclaim, “My gawd, Jeanne, you’ve become a butterfly." Jeanne grins. A big, big grin. Like a little girl. Believing. That night, as I tuck Jeanne into bed, I declare, “Remember, Jeanne, you are a butterfly.” I whisper it. Again and again. And I see a long-lasting smile. Of delight. I move like a dancer. My arms and hands swaying, To mimic the fluttering flight of a beautiful butterfly. And yes, I turn off the lights. And wish Jeanne sweet dreams…of being a butterfly. –Jim Broede

1 comment:

Broede's Broodings said...

I've noticed something interesting. The most positive and upbeat of the threads in this blog get the least amount of comments. Maybe that's because some folks don't want to comment if they have to say something nice. Is it possible that they'd rather say something not so nice? --Jim Broede