Monday, October 22, 2007

...and it sure pisses them off.

When folks take issue with me, I don’t get mad. Or angry. Or out of sorts. I generally just take it. Good naturedly. Even when I’m called nasty names. And ridiculed.

Yet, when I chide some in the Alzheimer’s Ladies Aid Society, I stir lots of hostility. Yes, outright rage. Vile language. I’m called Hitler. And worse. Names not allowed in a family-oriented blog. I’ve upset the ladies for suggesting that some Alzheimer care-givers aren’t suited for the job. Some of ‘em because they are unable to control their tempers. They have short fuses. Especially when they become tired and depressed. Certainly, that doesn’t bode well for their patients.

And hey, if I manage to light their fuses, by merely espousing the premise that some care-givers aren’t ready for prime time, just imagine what might happen when they become frustrated over the rigors of care-giving. Ain’t a pretty picture.

I got a letter the other day from a somewhat irate and beleaguered member of the Ladies Aid Society.

“I have a few things to get off my chest with you and about you,” she wrote. “Do I expect you to allow this comment to be viewed by others? No!!! Do I care? No!!!!! But I will know that you have read it.”

The lady thought that maybe I’d judge her as an unfit care-giver because she takes sleeping pills.

But I said I saw no problem with that -- that care-givers often take medications, including sedatives and anti-depressants. And it often does them good.

The lady also questioned my advocacy of daily outdoor exercise and fresh air as a relief valve for care-givers. I said it won’t hurt, and it may help.

“OK, Jim,” the lady said, “I get more exercise than I need or want. I have to lift mom from the bed to the potty chair and then back to bed. I lift her from the bed to her wheelchair and then back to the bed when she is ready to go to bed. No, I will not use a lift to help me. And I don’t have to explain (why) I won’t. I don’t have a CNA (nurse’s aide) to do that as you did with Jenny.”

I had to correct the lady. My wife’s name was Jeanne, not Jenny.

Furthermore, I didn’t rely on a nurse’s aide. I lifted Jeanne myself. Daily. In and out of the wheelchair. In and out of bed.

Next, the lady commented, “Do I have someone prepare (mom’s) meals? No, I do that. Do I have someone to wash, dry and fold her laundry? No. Do I have someone to bathe her daily? No. I do that.”

Again, the lady's inference seemed to be that, compared to her, I’ve had it relatively easy as a care-giver. And in a sense, I did. That is, after Jeanne went into the nursing home. It was a picnic compared to my stint as a 24/7 care-giver. Yes, for years before the nursing home, I was on duty round-the-clock. I did the cooking. I did the laundry. And I took Jeanne into the shower with me. Daily.

And when Jeanne went into the nursing home, I hand-fed her lunch and supper. In her room. I wasn’t there for breakfast. But in three years, I rarely missed the other meals.

And every night, I wheeled Jeanne down to the shower room. And gave her a bath. And a body massage. So, don’t sell me short, lady.

The lady went on to say that she cleans her mom up after she poops and pees on herself. That she makes sure mom takes her meds. And that she’s the one that takes mom to the doctor’s office.

“Did you do that with Jenny (Jeanne)?” she asked. “Or did you just go visit with her and smooch? Did you change her adult diapers when they needed to be changed? Did you change her clothes when she had an accident?”

Obviously, this lady must think that as a care-giver for 13 years, I mostly spent time twiddling my thumbs. I changed diapers thousands of times. I’ve cleaned up poop smeared all over the bed. I’ve cleaned up poop in the kitchen sink. And poop left in boxes on the clothes dryer. I was with Jeanne when she reached into her pants in a book store and deposited her poop on a book shelf. And I’ve wiped Jeanne’s ass many, many times. Without complaint. It’s what care-givers do.

And I admit that early on in my care-giving days, I lost it to some degree. I became angry. And that wasn’t good for me. And it especially wasn’t good for Jeanne. I’m not proud of that fact. Because it made me an unfit care-giver at the time.

But I learned. With on-the-job training. I finally became a pretty good care-giver. Especially in the last 38 months. I didn’t lose my temper in Jeanne’s presence. Not even once. I exuded good vibes. In large part, because I was rested. I had daily respite. I showed up to provide supplemental care for Jeanne. For 8-10 hours. Daily. Yes, I didn’t miss a day. I got my act together.

And I guess what I’m saying, there are far too many care-givers that don’t have their acts together. And that’s what I’m telling the ladies...and it sure pisses them off. –Jim Broede

8 comments:

Broede's Broodings said...

Gale/Rainbowheart:

Keep the letters coming. And I'll keep filling you in on the facts of life. Your letters contain many factual errors. But with a little coaching, maybe you'll get things straight some day. I think you have the potential to see the light. But you'll have to open your eyes, and your mind, too. Give it a try. --Jim Broede

Anonymous said...

Jim,
I will NEVER need advise from someone that is as stupid as you are....my eyes are OPEN and I see the light...matter of fact I can look out the window and see the light....And as far as your facts...keep them to yourself...awwwwwww I see now...no one needs or wants you babbling bullshit anymore..I guess that is why we don't go to the forum anymore. I guess that you were smart enough to figure that out on your own though. Jim, why is it what you only pick through what I have to say and post it on your blog? Is it because you don't want others to see what I really had to say that was positive? I guess not...you are not a positive person...you are just a person in love with yourself and your babbling bullshit.....

Broede's Broodings said...

Dear Anonymous/Gale/Rainbowheart:

Well, as you can see, I posted your entire piece this time. So readers can see all your "positive" comments. Indeed, if this is the way you define "positive," I'd suggest you go back to school. I see that this time you've also decided to call yourself Anonymous instead of Gale and Rainbowheart. Also, I think that you qualified as the 10,000 visitor to this blog over the weekend. At least that's something positive. You win the grand prize -- a home-cooked dinner with me. At your convenience. I'm a very good cook. You'll get gourmet fare. Plus enlightening conversation. Indeed, you are a lucky woman. --Jim Broede

P.S. Seems we are well on our way to 11,000 hits. It's people like you that keep us in business, and well-read. Thanks for your support. Now that's positive.

rainbowheart said...

Jim,
Are you a number counter? I guess that you are..."Also, I think that you qualified as the 10,000 visitor to this blog over the weekend..Jim Broede" As far as the home cooked meal-don't bother..enlightening conversation I can have that with a dear friend instead of a stranger.....yea i guess that you try to "piss" people off so that they will come to your blog...but as you can see not too many people are posting on your blog..now that is positive...
GALE

Broede's Broodings said...

Gale/Rainbowheart:

You seem hooked on this blog, Gale/Rainbowheart. You keep coming back. Just like so many other members of the Ladies Aid Society. Just remember, if you set your mind to it, you can overcome your addiction to this blog. Then you could urge others to follow your example. And the numbers would not keep going up, up, up. You ladies fascinate me. I keep wondering why you keep coming back for my words of wisdom. You know, Gale/Rainbowheart, I reject some comments. Because they are too foul and too nasty and unsuited for a family-oriented blog. But you generally pass muster. So you can imagine how bad some of the rejected comments must be. They sizzle with hate. The kind of hate that causes a Holocaust and wars. As for me, I try to love my enemies. That's what I was taught in Sunday School. It's a concept I'm trying to embrace. I know one thing: I love to love. And I hate to hate. --Jim Broede

Anonymous said...

You are SOOOO repetitive!! Do you really think your "stuff" is good enough to read twice?? Before you say that I am reading it, it is easy to see the duplication and then turn off. You really have no original ideas, at all.

Broede's Broodings said...

Anonymous:

I appreciate my critics. Who knows? You could be right. I concede that. And I'm willing to let you have your say as long as you remain reasonably respectful. Writers open themselves to criticism. That's the way it should be. I don't expect total praise. It's all right to criticize. I do that sometimes myself. If both of us learned to not take offense, we probably could learn from each other. Wouldn't that be nice? --Jim Broede

Broede's Broodings said...

P.S. I often read something twice. Or even 3 or 4 or 5 times before I really understand it. Sometimes, the reader has to put forth effort. Many a reader is downright lazy. Mentally. A reader has to put himself/herself into the piece. And not leave everything to the writer. The road to understanding is a two-way street. --Jim Broede