Monday, October 15, 2007

Some days, my reaction is, Wow!!!

I don’t know if anything can stop Alzheimer's Disease. Other than a miracle. But I suspect the progression of the disease can be slowed. Maybe significantly. By validation therapy. Or what I call good vibes therapy. Yes, huge doses of it. I practiced it daily. Not only on Jeanne. But on others in the memory care unit at Birchwood, the nursing home. The way I see it, it can’t do any harm. And it may do lots of good. I think the good vibes approach has the potential to help virtually everyone. Even people without dementia. When one is immersed in good vibes, it’s a rather pleasant feeling. Makes one more relaxed. And that makes the mind function better, or so it seems to me. Of course, I have to admit, I could be wrong. But I don’t think so. If it does nothing else, it boosts my spirits and morale. Just from the mere practice of good vibes and validation therapy. So I have nothing to lose. It helps make me a positive thinker. And there have been many converts to the approach at Birchwood. That, in itself, is a good vibe. A good result. It's been a wonderful experience reaching into other peoples' minds, other peoples' realities. Leads to understanding. And patience. And acceptance. Yes, true communication. Despite the cognitively-impaired minds. Some days, my reaction is, Wow!!! --Jim Broede

No comments: