Tuesday, November 13, 2007

I think that's what the Lord would want me to do.

“One of the saddest and meanest things about this damn (Alzheimer’s) disease is that my saintly Daddy, a retired preacher, desperately wants to preach or teach Sunday School or anything like that,” a woman named Susan wrote recently on the Alzheimer’s message boards. “The reality is, he can't. He can't find the books of the Bible, he can't read any longer, he can't complete a sentence without forgetting words, etc. There's just no way he could do anything like preaching or teaching. Today, he took his car and drove to 3 area churches. He was tested by a medical program & is allowed to drive within certain limits which he honors. He wanted to go into the churches and ask them for a job preaching or teaching Sunday School. Fortunately, the churches were all closed. This is not a sudden thing that he'll forget tomorrow. He's been like this for the past 5 years or so, ever since he was diagnosed with AD. Any advice, other than just go home & have a good cry over how pitiful he is?”

Well, I decided to offer some advice.

I'd come to listen to him preach. And I'd tell him I could use a good sermon. And I'd shake his hand when I left and tell him, "Good sermon, preacher." Just to make him feel good. I think that's what the Lord would want me to do. –Jim Broede

No comments: