Saturday, January 5, 2008

Wonders never cease.

When I was 30 or 40, it was hard imagining being 72. I suppose I never seriously thought I'd make it that far. But if I did, I supposed it would be dreadful. Being old. But I don't think of myself as old. In some ways, I'm younger than ever. Because I'm more free in spirit. Because I've learned to live and to love. And just to be myself. And now I have time for it. It's too bad that more people don't live into retirement years. Yes, and another thing I've learned, and that is to be intimate. I imagine some people go through life without ever learning or experiencing intimacy. Real intimacy. I think it took a while to learn to express myself. I'm sure I still have a lot to learn. And that's why I wish I could live forever. Maybe we are reincarnated and come back. Maybe we pass on to a spiritual dimension. But even if this is all there is, it's been worth the instant. Just the idea of consciousness. And the ability to feel love. Yes, even if it's only long enough for the blink of an eye. Just think. I'm communicating today. With words. Even with someone I've never seen. In the flesh. Someone thousands of miles away. And still I feel connected. I've made genuine human contact today. I've said it before. And I'll say it again. Wonders never cease. --Jim Broede

No comments: