Tuesday, February 5, 2008

Finding ways...

A care-giver came on the Alzheimer's message boards recently and announced that she feels sorry for herself. And most everybody consoled her. I did, too. In my own way. You have to find some sort of happiness, I told her. How or what, I don't know. Only you can tell what will make you happy. And once you determine that, go for it. Oh, there are so many, many ways that happiness can be achieved. It's hard for me to understand why unhappy people can't or don't find a way to be reasonably happy. Falling in love is one way. Not necessarily with somebody. But at least with something. Some activity. Or just to be in love with nature. Or good books. Then you wouldn't feel sorry for yourself. Because you could resort to a pursuit you love, if only for a few hours a day. Think about it, I said. I'll bet you can come up with a few good ideas. Some people think I'm wrong for taking this approach. That I should show more empathy, more sensitivity. But I like to focus on solutions to problems. Such as finding ways to no longer feel sorry for one's self. --Jim Broede

No comments: