Tuesday, February 19, 2008

There isn't always a right or wrong.

I think it was the existential philosopher Jean Paul Sartre that posed the interesting dilemma. A French man during World War II had to choose between joining the resistance against the Nazis or staying home to care for his ailing mother. Well, the existentialist, I guess, would say there's no right or wrong choice. Each man has to choose for himself. Some would go one way. Others would go another. Both courses can be equally justified. I often tell people how I would choose. Like, for instance, how I chose to cope when my dear Jeanne had Alzheimer's. Some folks automatically jumped to the conclusion that I was saying that's the right choice for everyone. Nope. That ain't so. It was the right choice for me. So I often explained why I did what I did. I defended my choice. Rather staunchly at times. But I wasn't saying everybody should follow in my footsteps, as some critics implied. Far from it. It's like with that French man. I might have chosen to stay home and care for the likes of a Jeanne rather than become wrapped up in a cause. But for those who would join the resistance, I say god bless you. Because there isn't always a right or wrong. --Jim Broede

No comments: