Thursday, February 7, 2008

They'd rather be entertained.

I guess that when I was growing up, newspapers fascinated me. I thought of them as a means to stir change. To make people aware of things. A good source of information. So I fell in love with newspapers. And I made my living by writing for newspapers. But now, for the most part, I’m disillusioned. Newspapers, it seems to me, now want to entertain people. More than keep people informed. That’s the general nature of so-called news media. It’s really entertainment media. Maybe because of TV. People like to watch things now. Be entertained by visuals. By pictures. Reading takes too much effort. Too much time. Unless it’s very entertaining reading. And preferably in capsule form. People don’t want to waste their time reading for the sake of being informed. They’d rather be entertained. –Jim Broede

No comments: