Monday, March 10, 2008

I didn't let it suck any more.

Sandy on the Alzheimer's message board is having trouble coping with her mother's Alzheimer's. "How do you get to where you guys are at?" she asks. "I want to be there."

You get there, Sandy, by learning acceptance. Recognizing that sometimes life sucks. But you still learn to cope. To deal with it. At least 90 percent of life doesn't suck. And if you recognize that, it helps. Because you are thankful for the 90 percent. Much of it joyful. My Jeanne had a 13-year sojourn with Alzheimer's. But by golly, at least 90 percent of my time with Jeanne over a period of almost 40 years was very, very good. Even many of the days with Alzheimer's. But yes, there were times that sucked. Jeanne died 14 months ago. But I'm still thankful I had Jeanne in my life. It was a wonderful ride. I think I learned how to cope after the first 10 years of dealing with Alzheimer's. Then I didn't let it suck any more. --Jim Broede

No comments: