Wednesday, April 30, 2008

...a very difficult question.

Personally, I have no problem with the controversial opinions being expressed by the Rev. Jeremiah Wright. Don't agree with everything he says. But I think the comments help stir a much-needed discussion of race in America. Many of us would like to avoid the discussion. Especially us white folks. Some of us would like to pretend that racism really isn't an issue in America. Easy for us to say. Because we haven't been the ones discriminated against. We weren't born into slavery and denied basic civil and human rights. Anyway, I think Wright is a patriot. Some call him unAmerican. But I'll give him a pat on the back. For expressing a point of view that needs to be expressed. I sense that Wright is asking, what would Jesus have us do? Indeed, that's a very difficult question. --Jim Broede

No comments: