Monday, May 12, 2008

...as friends.

Maybe I'm an unsual patriot. An unusual American. In that America's so-called enemies aren't necessarily my enemies. I've always liked Fidel Castro, for instance. I think Castro has been good for Cuba. For the Cuban people. Oh, he hasn't done the bidding of American politicos. But I think he's done far more good for Cuba than his predecessor, Bautista. And I've sort of taken to Venezuela president Hugo Chavez. I think he's probably doing what's best for Venezuela, albeit it may not be what some of us deem best for the USA. And years ago, I was happy when leftist Allende came to power in Chile. And I was unhappy when the US worked for his overthrow. Yes, I think that in many parts of the world there are good people who are perceived to be enemies of America. When really, I'd personally accept them as friends. --Jim Broede

No comments: