Monday, June 9, 2008

I accept friends unconditionally.

I've been in church thousands of times. I was even a member. Even on the board of deacons. And I graduated from a church-related college. Where I attended daily chapel services. So I've been exposed to all sorts of preachings. Conservative. Liberal. And inbetween. And I've associated with Buddhists, Jews, Hindus, atheists, agnostics. You name it. But I'm still my own man. A free-thinker. I guess the point I want to make is that it doesn't matter what a preacher has to say from the pulpit. Even when I'm in attendance. I listen to all points of view. Doesn't mean I have to accept what's being spouted. I tend to be independent. I make up my own mind. I might associate with, let's say, the black liberation pastor Jeremiah Wright. And attend his church for 20 years. But that doesn't mean I share all of his views, or even most of his opinions. But I can still like him. Accept him for what he is. We don't have to be think-alikes. I like all kinds of people that don't think like me. People on the opposite sides of my political, social, economic and spiritual values/philosophies. I tend to oppose sameness. I like diversity. Different people. Different opinions. And I grant that I may be wrong and others may be right. So it amuses me when Democratic presidential nominee Barack Obama is criticized for having belonged to Wright's church for two decades. Without raising a fuss. Until it got to be a political liability. I'm of a little different bent. I would have stuck by Wright, liability or not. Because I'd consider him a friend. And it doesn't matter what he thinks. After all, a friend is a friend. I accept friends unconditionally. --Jim Broede

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Jim,

I truly am grateful for my Life and all the people and situations that I have encountered that have made me who I am today..Life teaches me..about myself with everyone I come in contact with..everyone is my teacher..I enjoy diversity..it makes Life fun..

I believe..in having as much fun..as possible..and we must never grow up..

Jim thank you..for being my friend..uncondionally..

This past weekend..I rode my new mule..it was so much fun..sang the Blues..with friends from work..fixed turkey dinner for family..and gave of myself in service..for harvestors..oh and I paid for the food for the guy behind me in Line at McDonald's with his children..so I passed kindness on..to a total stranger..

Take care..may you and your Lady..be blessed..Love Rosie