Wednesday, June 4, 2008

I like what's happening.

I'm feeling optimism today. The sort of optimism I had when I was a young man in 1960 and John Kennedy was elected president. After Kennedy's assassination, things never seemed quite the same in America. And the last 8 years under George Bush have been sad. A disaster for America. A feeling of pessimism. Decline. But with Barack Obama clinching the Democratic nomination for president last night, I'm revved up again. Something like I was in 1960. For the first time in a long, long time I'm enthused about a candidate for president. And to think, he's a black man. And an idealist. Someone with vigor. And passion. With bold ideas. Oh, so refreshing. I'm 72. On the down side of life. But I feel young again. I like the younger generation. The under 35 crowd. They, especially, have rallied to the support of Obama. Looks to me like we have a new politics. The old ways are being shunted aside. I'm beginning to think that America may have a great future. I see signs of renewed life. Signs of hope. Yes, I'm optimistic. I like what's happening. --Jim Broede

No comments: