Thursday, September 4, 2008

And I'm focused...on the ups.

My gosh, how I've changed. I even surprise myself. The Cubs have gone into a slump. And I'm not all shook up. Used to be, that would have sent me into a tizzy. Maybe even a state of depression. But I've learned to put baseball and the Cubs into perspective. It's just a game. Yes, it would be nice to see the Cubs go all the way for the first time in 100 years and win the World Series again. But it's not that important. If it happens, it happens. If the Cubs fail -- so be it. I ain't gonna lose sleep over it. I ain't gonna lament. The Cubs aren't at the top of my priority list. Instead, I'm in love. With life. And with someone in particular. It's very clear to me. That life is good. Many, many more things are going right than wrong. Like my love life, for instance. And even in the realm of politics. I think there's a decent chance that Barack Obama will be our next president. Can't be sure of that, of course. But I have reason to be optimistic. And at 72, I am still alive and well, or so it seems. And I spent 5 weeks in Europe this summer. Much of it with my love. And more and more, I'm learning to live one day at a time. And not to anticipate what might go wrong tomorrow or next week or next month. Besides, the Cubs are still in first place. Second place Milwaukee has lost three straight. Sure, two of the Cubs five starting pitchers are out with injuries. And things ain't looking good at the moment from that perspective. But life is full of ups and a few downs. And I'm focused...on the ups. --Jim Broede

No comments: