Tuesday, September 9, 2008

I'm always happy in love.

I know what usually makes me unhappy. It's when I get ahead of myself. Because that prompts me to wish. Wish for particular outcomes. Such as wishing for Barack Obama to be elected president. And for the Chicago Cubs to get into the playoffs and to win the World Series. These are outcomes that would make me happy. But if I wish too much -- well, then I'll be unhappy, I suppose, if the wishes don't come true. And when I'm watching the day by day progression leading up to these final outcomes, I sometimes get a little tense. Watching. Watching. Anticipating. Anticipating. Wishing. Wishing. Almost as if I am wanting to play god. When really, I am in absolutely no position to influence the outcomes. Rather ridiculous, isn't it? I submit myself to unnecessary stress. I would be better off paying little or no attention to the unfolding of so many, many events. And just plug in at the end to learn of the outcomes. In other words, it might be a blessing if I were, let's say, in faraway Tahiti with someone I love. Out of contact with the rest of the world. Because then I'd be focused on love. I'd be more or less in Eden, I suppose. Reading books. Writing. Making love. Enjoying good food. Yes, savoring life. Now that's the way to live. In a sense, I'm trying to do that now. I'm trying not to pay too much attention to the presidential race, and to the Cubs. And I'm writing. Like I am right now. Reflecting on life. And love. And that love is the most important element in my life. And so if I eventually get bad news about the presidential race or about the Cubs -- well, it won't matter that much in the grand scheme of things. I'll just settle for being in love. And so if Obama and the Cubs both lose, I still win...because I'm always happy in love. --Jim Broede

No comments: