Tuesday, September 16, 2008

...a way to keep one's sanity.

When it comes to staying informed about national and world events, I rely on the New York Times. Oh, I go to TV for breaking news. But for background and for understanding issues, usually it's the New York Times. Or magazines. Like Harper's. The Atlantic. And the New Yorker. Maybe that shows a bit of a liberal bias on my part. The one TV program I try to watch without miss is Bill Moyers' Journal. On Friday nights. On public television. And I trust the BBC, too. But when it comes to the rest of the media, I can take it only in very small doses. It's too annoying. And so I turn it off. I'll watch the satirical presentation of news. Such as Jon Stewart's Daily Show. And if Bill Maher is guesting on a program, I'll tune in. I like satirist Al Franken, too. And I'm happy to see that he's running for the U.S. Senate in my home state, Minnesota. He'll get my vote. Oh, and I'm also drawn to Arianna Huffington. Another liberal who used to be a conservative. Yes, I go to people I trust. And I find virtually all of them have a sense of humor. It's a way to keep one's sanity in this topsy-turvy and crazy world. --Jim Broede

No comments: