Sunday, September 14, 2008

Until I lose my freedom of speech.

I've liked being an American. I was born here. And grew up with patriotic fervor. I'm old enugh to remember World War II. And young enough to having never had to fight. I've served in the armed forces for 3 years. In peacetime. Mostly in Germany. And it was a nice experience. Anyway, what I like most about America is my freedom. Especially freedom of speech. I sound off a lot. And I went into a profession that allowed me to focus attention on lots of issues. I was a newspaper reporter. Now retired. But still, I'm not hesitant to voice my opinions. One might say I'm opinionated. I still like being an American. But less so than I used to. Because I don't like the political and social drift of America in recent years. Under the George Bush administration. Oh, I'm hopeful of change to a more liberal politic in the upcoming election. But if it doesn't happen, if the McCain-Palin ticket wins and we don't rid this country of its insanity, I'll give strong consideration to moving to Canada. Or maybe Italy. Of course, some of you will say good riddance. But then again, I may choose to stick around. Until I lose my freedom of speech. Then I'm gone. --Jim Broede

No comments: