Wednesday, October 29, 2008

And now, 57 years later.

Back in the 1950s, maybe we had our baseball priorities right. We played baseball during the day. Even the World Series. Even in 1951 when there was an historic play-off game for the National League championship between the New York Giants and the Brooklyn Dodgers. That day was treated as sort of a national holiday. I remember listening to the game. In high school. In my 10th grade social studies class. Actually, it was broadcast over the PA system to the entire school. I imagine people at work all over the country were listening. Because baseball was truly our national pastime. We loved the game. And we found time for it. Even in Wisconsin, where I lived, we focused on a play-off game between two New York teams. We were rivited to this national event. And wow, what a game. The Giants were losing, 4-2, in the bottom half of the ninth inning. Two runners on. And Bobby Thomson at the plate. And he hits a home run off Dodgers' pitcher Ralph Branca. And the Giants win, 5-4. Capping an historic comeback for a Giants team that trailed the Dodgers by 13 1/2 games on Aug. 13. I still remember the thrill of the moment. I had barely turned 16. And now, 57 years later, it's as if I'm still in that classroom. Listening to the game. --Jim Broede

No comments: