Thursday, December 11, 2008

...the dictates of Mother Nature.

I'm settling down for a Minnesota winter. Taking it in stride. That's the only way. I expect lots of snow. And temperatures dropping to 30-below zero. And wind chills of 50 or 60-below. But I can handle it. Ain't all that bad. Oh, maybe I'd like to eliminate about 15 of the worst days. Also, I take consolation. In that there are colder and snowier places. Take Fairbanks in Alaska. for instance. I've noticed that during their winters, there are periods when daily highs don't climb much above 40-below zero. Yes, that's the high. There's a psychological game that I play. After our temperature stays below zero for a few days, and it warms to 10 above, I rejoice. I'm happy. Because that seems relatively warm. Almost like I'm ready to go out in shirtsleeves. I also like to shovel snow. No snow-blower for me. Shoveling is good exercise. And I take my time. The wintry scenery is nice, too. Fir strees with boughs covered by snow. And the spectacular northern lights. And a white Christmas. In my 20s, I went south for a few years. To Florida. And I really missed winter. The change of seasons. And I tell you, the frigid air is fresh. And clean. So nice to breathe. Of course, when spring finally arrives, I willingly live without winter for 8 or 9 months. I like variety. I'm willing to accept the dictates of Mother Nature. --Jim Broede

No comments: