Wednesday, January 28, 2009

...a singing voice that's unusual.

A friend surprised me last night. By introducing me to a British singer. Ann Duffy. That was very pleasant. Obviously, my friend liked Duffy's singing. Or she wouldn't have introduced me. Duffy's different. Captivating. A singing voice that's so unusual. Like a child's voice. Nothing like her speaking voice. She does put some emotion into it. I think some singers sing much like they talk. But not Duffy. It's almost as if she enters another world when she sings. I suppose some writers don't talk like they write. While others talk and write pretty much in the same manner. I wonder, why is that? It's almost as if some singers and some writers -- well, they have two personnas. Maybe in my earlier years, I had two. But as I get older, I think my writing and talking personnas have kind of merged. Into one. Maybe writing has made me more comfortable with my real self. --Jim Broede

No comments: