Saturday, February 7, 2009

I'm divided on the Nadya issue.

Nadya. That woman who gave birth to octuplets. I don't begrudge her that. She wanted multiple births. Now she has 14 children. And maybe she won't quit at that. Won't surprise me if she goes for more. That's her mission in life. To have children. Lots of 'em. She's only 33. So she has time in her favor. Anyway, to each his/her own. It's no skin off my back if she ends up with 30 children. And it doesn't matter that she's not married. I certainly wouldn't want to be Nadya's husband. That would be hell. For me. For Nadya. We probably couldn't be more different with our attitudes. I have no desire to bring children into this world. I have two step-children. That's enough. I would more likely be drawn to a woman who doesn't want to have more babies. And 14? That's outlandish, from my perspective. But it's all right for Nadya. Let her have 'em. Nadya says she's gonna be a good mother. That she's gonna hold and nurture and love 'em all. Bless her. But I think she's full of baloney. She's gonna be spread so thin she won't know whether she's coming or going. She'll need hired help. Nannies. Assistants. A husband or two or three. To help support a family this size. There's no stopping Nadya. Unless, of course, she moves to China. The Chinese have a notion that it's time to curb the fast-expanding population on Earth. To severely limit family size. That seems to make sense, too. So I'm a bit divided. Over whether Nadya should be made to put a rein on her productivity. --Jim Broede

2 comments:

Carol said...

Hi Mr. Broede:

I found your blog via the alz.org message boards. I've read your posts there for quite a while, but it wasn't until tonite that I realized you're from Forest Lake?
That's south of where I live, but within a reasonable commuting distance (an hour or so...)

Anyhow, right now we are really struggling with a downturn my mom has been having. We aren't sure if it's Alz or some other weird dementia (we tend to think it's Posterior Cortical Atrophy) or a reaction to having been prescribed Benadryl.

She seems to be doing somewhat better now, in the rehab unit of the nursing home, and we are hoping that she will be able to go back to her assisted living apartment (we have a meeting on Wednesday). I think they can care for her well there, except for one thing: During this episode, she left her apartment, wandered into someone else's apartment, and also reported (the next day) that she "opened up one door and it was really really cold, so I shut it again". We are thinking that she opened an outside door to the assisted living complex, and that scared all of us tremendously. So based on that, we're worried about whether she'll be able to go back to assisted living or not...

Anyhow, since you're kind of a neighbor, I was wondering if you could recommend a good nursing home, in case we need to look at that? There are two ways we could go if we absolutely have to look at a nursing home--first, where she's at right now is full of familiarity and people she knows. Many people who used to live in her assisted living facility are now in this nursing home. But I am not convinced that it provides the best care. Tough call, as the current nursing home is only 4 miles away from me, and anything else would probably be a minimum of 30 miles....

Anyhow, your thoughts on all of this are valued!

Oh--and we have 14 cats. Making sure they are all fed, watered, petted, and doctored is a HUGE responsibility and I find myself frustrated and wishing that we had a LOT less. So I can speak with some (weird) experience when I talk about that Nadya, I don't think she can do it. I am pretty capable. I can barely do these cats. I don't have to get a sitter for them when I go. If I don't have time for a few of them one day because one of them is more needy that day, I am (hopefully anyhow) not psychologically traumatizing them. That said, it's just incredibly tough to spread yourself that thin and do anything resembling a good job. So I'm with you on that one!

Oh, and please feel free to check out my blog, too....if you want...

Broede's Broodings said...

Send me your blog address, Carol, and I also will write to you privately. There are reasonably good nursing homes. But a nursing home works best when you can provide daily visits and daily supplemental care. One on one. Meanwhile, you have my email address. Please feel free to write to me any time. --Jim