Saturday, February 28, 2009

In order to survive.

I suspect many people with depression have it almost solely because of their situation. The environment and circumstances they find themselves in. Maybe I'm wrong about that. Sure, sometimes it's because of a chemical imbalance. And maybe a pill will make a difference. In other words, there are many causes of depression. I don't think I've ever been what's referred to as clinically depressed. I may be unhappy at times. But when that happens, it almost always seems connected to something going on in my life. A situation that can be changed. Corrected. Made better. To make me reasonably happy again. So that's what I do. Go about making change. And that changes my attitude or outlook. To a more positive one. In recent years, I've seen lots of depressed Alzheimer's care-givers. Because I was a care-giver. For 13 years, to one extent or another. Sometimes, part-time. Other times, 24/7. Ain't easy. Not a situation that I wish on anyone. But life has its twists and turns. And you gotta deal with it. One way or another. Anyway, if I'm sad or unhappy, I don't like the feeling. So I immediately begin a search for a way to happiness once again. Eventually, I find it. Because I have to. In order to survive. --Jim Broede

No comments: