Monday, February 2, 2009

When it's bed-making time.

My cat, Loverboy, helps me make the bed. Virtually every day. Doesn't matter the time. It can be shortly after I get up in the morning. Or an hour or two later. After breakfast. Or even in the afternoon on a lazy Sunday. As soon as I start to make the bed, Loverboy comes prancing in. Up he comes. On to the bed. Pressing down the covers. But Loverboy has a motive. Yes, he knows exactly what we're gonna do as soon as the bed is made. I bring out a long shoestring. Pull it across the bed. And Loverboy pounces on it. Pretending he's a mongoose. A snake killer. And I'll flip the shoestring/snake high. Into the air. And Loverboy leaps. In hot pursuit. Like a ballet dancer. Oh, he has so much fun. And he gets his daily exercise. The snake disappears after a minute or two. But Loverboy knows it'll return tomorrow. When it's bed-making time. --Jim Broede

No comments: