Sunday, March 8, 2009

Well-meaning people.

I really like to brood. That's what I'm doing here. Almost daily. That's why I call this blog Broede's Broodings. I suppose that could be my profession. Brooder. Brooding gives me a sense of freedom. To say what I want to say. Little reflections. Some people don't want me to brood. But then they'd be taking away my freedom. I think written words can be a tolerable form of violence. A soft violence, so to speak. If we fired words at each other rather than bombs and missiles and bullets and cannonballs -- well, that wouldn't cause much, if any, bloodshed. And sooner or later, we might end up listening to each other's words and thoughts. Yes, actually communicating. Often enough, people want me censored. They've accused me of being mean. Or of lacking compassion. But I don't think that's so. Rather, I like discourse. Because that's how I learn. Sometimes, I misunderstand or misconstrue what's being said. As do others. But that's all right. As long as we continue to talk and listen. Often, there's a breakthrough. Language. Words. So many meanings. One word can be taken in multiple ways. Well-meaning people generally find ways to understand each other. And to become friends. Or at least accepting of each other. --Jim Broede

No comments: