Sunday, May 17, 2009

Saved. Maybe by divine guidance.

It was perfect timing. For me, that is. I was listening to the Chicago Cubs game yesterday on the car radio. And it was the 9th inning. With the Cubs leading Houston 4-0. Everything was going perfectly. The Cubs brought in their closer. And I assumed he'd protect a safe lead and shut 'em down. And so I decided to go into the store and do some shopping. And that I'd catch the final score when I got back. Well, I was gone for half an hour. I tuned in. And the game had just ended. Turned out, the Cubs blew the 4-0 lead. Houston rallied for 4 runs to tie the game in the top of the 9th. But the Cubs rallied for a run in the bottom half of the inning, and won, 5-4. And I thought, my gawd. If I had stayed in the car to listen to what I expected to be an uneventful 9th inning, I'd have been a nervous wreck. I would have anguished. Probably hyper-ventilated. But I was saved all that. Maybe by divine guidance. --Jim Broede

No comments: