Saturday, June 20, 2009

The gods have been good to me.

One can look at life as theater. As entertainment. As living in a story. As not knowing what's to come next. I know what's happening now. At this very moment. And generally, I know what's gonna happen in the next moment or two around me. In my immediate environs. But the further ahead I project, the less I know with absolute certainty. That makes life interesting. Because often it's unpredictable. And the cast of characters I encounter. Daily. Wow! Fantastic. Even crazy people. Especially people in power. Politicians. Yesterday, I had an unexpected thrill. For the second day in a row. From an unlikely source. The Chicago Cubs. They were trailing 7-0. But at least, I rationalized, it's easier taking a sound beating than a close loss, in which I see so many opportunities to win. If only... So many ifs. Frustrating. But lo and behold, the Cubs rallied late. In the 8th, 9th and 10th innings. And won, 8-7. The day before, they rallied from a 5-1 deficit in the 8th inning to a dramatic 6-5 win in the 9th. Little events over which I have no control in the engaging story of life. Chance. Happenstance. Things went the way I wanted 'em to go. Makes me feel the gods are on my side. Albeit, that's just wild speculation. No solid basis to think that's true. But I do often feel blessed. As if there are many gods. Like the ancient Greek gods. And I can implore them to play positive roles in my life. I've been blessed, especially by the god of love. And now by the baseball gods. Several days ago, I was thinking wretched things about the baseball gods. I'm ashamed of myself. They've really been good to me over the years. Especially the last two days. --Jim Broede

No comments: