Monday, June 29, 2009

I wonder, is god sleep-deprived?

I don't always have the luxury of escaping to the seaside or to a dinner out or to a live concert, but I have the opportunity to get a little extra sleep. Sleep can be a wonderful luxury. A way to indulge one's self. Too often I deprive myself of a good night's sleep. I'll go through streaks of getting only 5 or 6 hours of sleep. Because I'm preoccupied with this and that. And eventually it catches up with me. And I even feel as if I'm gonna fall asleep when I'm walking. And I may get a bit out of sorts, mentally and physically. Oh, stress probably has something to do with it, too. Anyway, if I were my own doctor, I'd prescribe more sleep. A night or two each week. Yes, play catch-up. Allow myself to enjoy the pleasure of falling asleep. And the pleasure of waking up. And the pleasure of a sweet dream. A way to relax. To rejuvenate my body and spirit. I wonder if god sleeps. Takes naps. Maybe that's when bad things happen. But then, even god needs to rejuvenate. With blessed sleep. Could be that god makes his bad decisions when he's tired. --Jim Broede

No comments: