Friday, June 26, 2009

On the matter of believing.

I know what I'm supposed to believe and what I want to believe. They pretty much coincide. Overlap. For instance. Loving one's enemies. I want to believe in that credo. And I think I'm supposed to. But it's easier said than done. At times, I really do come to love an enemy, so to speak. At least to a significant degree. But hey, there are all sorts of people in my life that I don't love. And they aren't even enemies. Just mere acquaintances. People I can take or leave. I also want to believe in god or gods. And I guess I do. But it's difficult to say. Because I really can't define god. So I'm believing in something indefinable. That's sort of risky. I could be accused of not knowing what I purport to believe in. I do believe in love. Albeit, that's hard to define, too. All I know is that I'm in love. So there must be love. I also want to believe that I can walk on water. In other words, do the impossible. Because an ancient philosopher named Jesus tells me it's possible. And he seems rather knowledgeable. So I'm inclined to believe him. But I haven't yet accomplished the feat. So maybe I don't believe. Even though I want to. I also want to believe in ever-lasting life. Because I've liked life so far. And I have no desire for it to end. Maybe I'll change my mind about that some day. I fantasize about living as a spirit. In another dimension. Outside my physical being. Seems like it would be a pleasant experience. Maybe it would allow me to explore the entire cosmos. All of creation. Far beyond Earth. Maybe it would bring me closer to the god/gods that I can't define. --Jim Broede

No comments: