Sunday, July 5, 2009

...caught up in the current of life.

I'm reading Eckhart Tolle. Guess he's a spiritualist. Sounds a bit like a Buddhist. Or what I imagine to be a Buddhist. People often tell me I sound like a Buddhist. Although I don't think of myself as a Buddhist. I'm so non-aligned with any kind of religion. Maybe I have my own religion. Or my own spiritual thought. That may be more accurate way of putting it. Tolle wants us to try to transcend our egos. At least from time to time. On an interim basis. In order to really get into the flow of life. It would probably be impossible for me to transcend my ego on a permanent, long-lasting basis. But I can try to do it for short periods of time. Momentarily. When dealing with certain people or with certain issues. I think he wants me to stop thinking. And just be. Living the moment. Absorbed in the moment. Without being shackled by my ego. Because my ego creates dysfunctions such as anger, jealousy and unhappiness. My ego pits me against others. Forces me into a delusion, of sorts. Stops me from having a truly fulfilling existence. Quite possibly when I am in love I'm being steered in the right direction. Maybe I have moments when I abandon my ego when I'm with my love. When I stop thinking. And just get on with living. Letting everything come naturally. Just flow. Flow. Flow. The stream. The steady flowing stream. It just goes where it goes. Or the cloud in the sky. It just drifts and drifts and drifts. Until it dissipates. Disappears. Maybe we humans are something akin to streams and clouds. We are supposed to drift and flow. And get caught up in the current of life. --Jim Broede

No comments: