Monday, August 24, 2009

I must reintroduce myself.

In my vast collection of music CDs, I've just located Arturo Toscanini's and the NBC Symphony Orchestra's rendition of Beethoven's 9th Symphony. It was recorded on March 31 and April 1 in 1952. And one of the first phonograph records I ever purchased was this much ballyhooed recording. That was the way I was introduced to the Ode to Joy. When I was a teen-ager. And now I'm gonna listen to it again. Today. Tomorrow. And the next day. I'll be back in time. A long, long time ago. I can still remember the music that wowed me as a youngster. I spent good money for Rudolph Serkin playing Beethoven's Emperor's Concerto and Pierre Monteaux directing the San Francisco Symphony Orchestra in Beethoven's 2nd Symphony. I was big on Beethoven in those days. Particularly, the symphonies. Now I prefer string quartets. Beethoven. Haydn. Mozart. But I must reintroduce myself to the symphonies. --Jim Broede

No comments: