Sunday, August 16, 2009

In love again.

Thank gawd for the women I've had in my life. They've really been life-savers. I've had man-friends, too. But women have been the most meaningful. Three, in particular. But still others for whom I am grateful. And they know it. Of course, the first to happen along was my mother. A very strong and determined woman. She kept the family together after my dad committed suicide. I was only 13 at the time, older than my brother and sister. Mother went to work. And so did I. And it was always understood that I'd get a college education. Mother made that abundantly clear. My mother married again, and went on to a successful career as an interior decorator. And she was my confidante right up to the end of her long life. Albeit, it's a little sad that she battled depression in the last 20 years. Next, I was blessed with Jeanne. My wife for 38 years, until she died in 2007, after a 13-year battle with Alzheimer's. It was a wonderful loving relationship, which came with a ready-made family, a step son and a step daughter. I couldn't have asked for more. But I have more. I am blessed for a third time. In love again. --Jim Broede

No comments: