Wednesday, August 12, 2009

The old-fashioned way.

Life is full of surprises. Pleasant little surprises. Like the bed and breakfast place we stumbled across in Bayfield. In Wisconsin. On the south shore of Lake Superior. It was called the Cooper Hill Bed & Breakfast. In a home built in 1888. And run by the Bayfield mayor Larry MacDonald. And his charming wife, Julie. We stayed in a room dubbed the Captain's Quarters. I allowed my companion to be the captain. While I assumed the role of admiral. As we sailed off on a boat tour of the Apostle Islands. Very nice, indeed. To be the unexpected guests of the mayor. I learned that 21 years ago, the MacDonalds got tired of the helter-skelter grind of the corporate world, and decided to move to Paradise. To pursue dreams. Of a slow and wonderful life. Larry is a sailor. He has a 38-foot sailboat. Anyway, we had blueberry muffins for breakfast. Made with home-grown blueberries. And I noticed that outside, the bed sheets and other laundry was being hung out to dry in the fresh air. Rather than in a clothes dryer. That tells me a lot about people that insist on doing things the old-fashioned way. --Jim Broede

No comments: