Saturday, August 22, 2009

I've created a new world.

I’m redecorating the house. In a major way. Making it look far less cluttered. And making it easier to clean. I’ve almost completed the interior. Oh, there’s still fine-tuning to do. Maybe that phase of it will never end. It’s been a mammoth project. I’ve still got to get rid of stuff. Possessions. Things I’ve accumulated over the years. Far too many books. Too many compact discs. Too many cassette tapes. I mean thousands. Incredible numbers. I had become a collector. Of more books than I could ever read. And more recorded music than I could ever listen to. More clothes too, than I could ever wear. Strange, isn’t it? I castigate people for becoming obscenely rich. Monetarily. But I practiced a similar pursuit. An obscenely number of possessions. I’d buy books and CDs off the clearance racks. Many times for $1. Or less. And then I’d need some place to put ‘em. And finally, I recognized that it was becoming a clutter. A dust-collector. I was being closed in. Surrounded by possessions. Rather than openness. Rather than by light and white spaces. I’ve discovered that less is more. I’m feeling more relaxed. More at ease. With a simple change in my environs. In my attitude. I’ve created a new world. –Jim Broede

No comments: