Sunday, August 30, 2009

Profound, isn't it?

I continue to get rid of stuff. Piles and piles. Boxes and boxes. All kinds of stuff I've accumulated over the years. And moreorless stored away. Or added to a burgeoning clutter. But finally, I'm resolved to trim down to bare essentials. Oh, I'll keep some meaningful items. With fond memories attached. As I have less and less, I feel, in a sense, that I have more and more. Because I am more focused inward. I attribute what I'm doing, in part, to love. To a better understanding of love. And what one must do to be truly in love with life. Yes, one must get to the meaningful. And not be diverted by the creature comforts of life. Possessions. Love comes from within. My teachers are people like Nelson Mandela. He endured 17 years in prison. Where he was put unjustly. But he didn't hold a grudge. He made the best of it. By cultivating love. From within. Others may have looked at those 17 years as a victim would -- of having been robbed of a large segment of one's life. Instead, Mandella learned how to love. His fellow man. And life. Profound, isn't it? --Jim Broede

No comments: