Monday, September 14, 2009

So many reasons to go to church.

I've been asked, why do I go into so many churches? Well, I suppose it's because I'm spiritual in nature. Not necessarily religious. But spiritual. I believe in the Holy Spirit. I'm a free-thinker. I worship life. Creation. And I'm a lover, too. And churches and synagogues and mosques and temples fascinate me. They are places of peace and tranquility. Often, great architecture, too. And sometimes, I stumble across a clergyman delivering a poetic sermon. Oh, and the music. It's wonderful. One of my favorite composers is J. S. Bach. And he composed primarily for the church. And if you've listened to the divine liturgy and requiem mass of the Russian Orthodox Church, it's awesome. Inspiring. Reaches my emotional depths. And summer before last, I attended a chamber orchestra concert in Venice. They played Vivaldi. In a church. Wow! A great, unforgettable experience. And I was there with my true love. That made it even more memorable. Oh, so many reasons to go to church. --Jim Broede

No comments: