Sunday, September 20, 2009

A wonderful and purposeful life.

My satisfaction comes from effecting change on a relatively miniscule scale. Because I know that as an individual, I can't do much for the overall cause. Such as combatting racism. I can deal with it when encountered. Directly. When I talk to a racist, for instance. Or when I head South, like I did in the 1960s, and joined the movement by becoming a member of the executive board of the NAACP chapter in the local city. But I recognize the movement would have carried on with or without me. When the time comes, the time comes. It takes a long, long time to achieve an ends. The movement still hasn't come to full fruition. Never will. We'll always have racists amongst us. It's on-going. Patience. Patience. Patience. Endurance. Endurance. Endurance. We keep plodding on to bring about necessary change. Little by little. It's an accumulation effect. My little blog is like a grain of sand on the beach. That's all. But it's nice to feel that I'm even so much as a grain in this vast universe. I don't have to be Big Time Charlie. I can settle for being Small Time Jim. The fact that I'm in love with another human being -- well, that gives me satisfaction. Pleasure. A sense of being. Of having lived. A wonderful and useful and purposeful life. --Jim Broede

No comments: