Wednesday, October 28, 2009

I'm still changing.

I suspect that many of us change from year to year to year. Even significantly. We adapt. We adjust. We change our attitudes. Our opinions. But often we've been pegged. Because people got impressions years ago. And they don't notice the change. Maybe because they aren't observant. Anyway, I could easily have written something 20 years ago. An opinion piece. And I no longer believe it. I might have an entirely different outlook on the subject. In college, for instance, I was a political conservative. Imagine that. I'm an unabashed liberal today. I was kind of shy then, too. Not so much any more. Maybe that's because of the profession I went into. Writing. Mainly for newspapers. I had to interview people. Strangers. And I had to get them to talk. To open up. Sometimes more than they'd like. And I'd find ways. To dig out the story. And I have a natural curiosity. To learn. About this and that. And that often made me change my opinion. My approach. Really, even my concept of life. And what's meaningful. Yes, I've changed. A whole lot. And I'm still changing. --Jim Broede

1 comment:

Broede's Broodings said...

I've changed a lot since Jeanne died in January 2007. Initially, I thought I'd just mark time for the rest of my life. Live in solitude. Never fall in love again. In a sense, I felt like my meaningful life was all over. How wrong I was. Maybe it was Jeanne talking to me from the spirit world. And her message was: Live. Live. Live. And love. Love. Love. Savor every day for the rest of your life. Yes, I'm doing everything Jeanne would have wanted me to do. --Jim