Friday, October 23, 2009

Is there too much profit?

I just had a root canal and a crown to save a tooth. Cost me a little over $2,000. I have no dental insurance. Except for the cost, the procedure was painless. No complaints over the procedure. I spent 2 hours, at the very most, in the dental chair. So it was relatively quick. Comes down to paying the dentist about $1,000 an hour. I questioned the dentist about that. And he told me he has all kinds of expenses. Maintaining his office and staff. And he's well-trained. Graduated from dental school. So maybe I paid the going-rate. Maybe even a fair rate. And I should be thankful. In many ways, I am. I still have all my teeth at age 74. But I'll continue to question the cost of essential health services in the USA. I suspect there's too much profit. Moreso than in other countries. When my Jeanne broke her wrist in Germany 7 or 8 years ago, I was pleasantly surprised how little it cost for medical care. The hospital and doctor's bills combined for piecing together the fracture with pins was $500. In the U.S. it would have been many times that. Evidenced by the bill of several thousand dollars to have the pins removed here. --Jim Broede

1 comment:

Broede's Broodings said...

I suppose someone without much money would just lose a tooth rather than spend $2,000 for a root canal and crown. The more affluent can also spend $3,500 to $5,000 for a dental implant. --Jim