Wednesday, October 7, 2009

My greatest fear.

I think Barack Obama enjoys being president. He still pinches himself every morning. To make sure it isn't just a mere dream. Yes, he actually got himself elected president. He achieved the impossible. And I'm afraid that now he's gonna just enjoy living in the White House. And being a figurehead. And just let things happen. Rather than force issues. Rather than follow his liberal instincts. He'll settle for a watered-down agenda. He'll give in to his ideological opponents. And become known as the great compromiser. Maybe just the opposite of George Bush, the decider. The bull-headed decider. Unlike Bush, Obama will give in. Give ground. And even allow himself to be pushed around by those on the political right. In other words, he's gonna be a patsy. Much to the chagrin of liberals in his Democrat party. It's possible that being president has gone to Obama's head. Yes, to being a figurehead. In love with the grandeur of the office. Rather than in love with accomplishing a truly liberal agenda. I hope not. But that's my greatest fear. --Jim Broede

6 comments:

Broede's Broodings said...

I tend to be disappointed in people. Most people. But not all people, thank goodness. --Jim

Broede's Broodings said...

I make friends with a handful of people I truly like. --Jim

Anonymous said...

Disenchantment sucks, huh? Guess the Wonder Boy is not so wonderful.
(That is not a racial comment, by the way)
Anon2

Broede's Broodings said...

I'm not sure if 'disenchantment' or 'sucks' are the right words. I'd rather go with disappointment to describe how I feel. Like I say, I tend to be disappointed in people. Most people. Sometimes, I'm even disappointed in myself. But I'm not disappointed in life as a whole. I'm savoring it. I'm loving it. Despite the disappointments. --Jim

Anonymous said...

I'd say you seemed enchanted before, so now you would be disenchanted.
Anon2

Broede's Broodings said...

Think about it. One can go from enchanted to disappointed. I still like Obama. I'm disappointed in him. But I'm not disenchanted. In my vocabulary, there's a significant difference between disappointed and disenchanted. I want Obama to fight harder for liberal causes. I thought he would be more liberal. Unfortunately, he ain't liberal enough. He's too easy on Republicans. He needs to be more Pelosi-like. He's still got time to get it right. I'm not giving up on him. I don't have that option. He's the best we've got. Even though I'd like better. You gotta remember, I'm very, very liberal. I have extraordinarily high expectations. He hasn't met 'em. And maybe nobody would. --Jim