Tuesday, November 3, 2009

Ready to be taught.

I think I annoy some people. Because I egg them on. I push their buttons. I know that's not always the nice thing to do. But it does get response. Better that than indifference. If I hadn't become a writer, I could just as easily have become a teacher. Oh, my classes would be rollicking. We'd have a good time. Debating. Agreeing and disagreeing. We'd have lively encounters. Yes, push the limits. I'd stir controversy. But I'd get students to flock to my classes. Nobody would fall asleep. I'd make people angry. But not all. I'd have allies. Backers. Supporters. But plenty of critics, too. I majored in English. And history. So that'd probably be my subject areas. But I'd like to teach religion, too. Theology. From a free-thinker's point of view. That would stir things up. I'd seek a job teaching in a seminary. But it'd have to be a very, very liberal seminary, I suppose. The fundamentalists would hate me. I could teach political science, too. Politics. And the art of corruption. That would be my specialty. Corruption. And what better place than in the realm of politics? Lying. Cheating. Thievery. It's all there. Ready to be taught. --Jim Broede

2 comments:

Broede's Broodings said...

I think I'd like to become a philosopher. --Jim

Broede's Broodings said...

How does one become a philosopher? Can I just announce, I am a philosopher? I philosophize, therefore I am a philosopher. Or do I need certain credentials to prove it? --Jim