Thursday, December 17, 2009

I have plenty of company.

No doubt about it. We elect stupid people to public office. I can even personally attest to it. Years ago, when I was younger and even more stupid than I am now, I was elected to the local school board. Maybe a sign that the electorate are dumber than the candidates. In the thread below this one, New York Times columnist Gail Collins makes a solid case that U.S. Senator Joe Lieberman is downright stupid. Yet, he keeps getting re-elected. Despite repeatedly making an ass of himself. And look at George Bush. And oh, my gawd, at Sarah Palin. She got elected governor of Alaska. And has aspirations to be president. Yes, we have set low standards for public officials. We have elected idiots, imbeciles and morons. I'm living proof of it. But I have plenty of company. --Jim Broede

8 comments:

Broede's Broodings said...

I'm a pompous ass. So is Joe Lieberman. But there's one big difference. I know it. Joe doesn't. --Jim

Broede's Broodings said...

If we keep electing stupid people to public ofice, that raises the question of whether a democracy is the best form of government. Maybe it's a stupid form. --Jim

Broede's Broodings said...

I guess that if we elect stupid people we deserve what we get. --Jim

Broede's Broodings said...

I wonder how historians will look back on these times in 2,000 years. Maybe it'll be known as the Stupid Age. As contrasted by the Age of Enlightenment. --Jim

Broede's Broodings said...

I also wonder if in 2,000 years the USA will finally have universal health care. --Jim

Broede's Broodings said...

My guess is that in 2000 years, the USA will no longer exist. And capitalism will be dead and buried. --Jim

Broede's Broodings said...

The history books will show that America rotted away. --Jim

Broede's Broodings said...

And America went into sharp decline after it was hit by a plague that devastated the population because the health care system was grossly inadequate. --Jim