Wednesday, December 16, 2009

To be the godfather of Italy.

Silvio Berlusconi is revered by many. Maybe even by most Italians, where he is prime minister. But he also is hated. Despised. And he's been accused of corruption. Last week, Berlusconi was assaulted by a crazed man. Fractured Berlusconi's nose and cracked two of his teeth and put him into pain and into a hospital. Berlusconi is a billionaire and a media tycoon. Doesn't need to submit himself to the stress of political life. But Berlusconi can't resist. Because he loves power. The power of money. And the power of politics. It may get him killed or imprisoned some day. But I suspect that Berlusconi deep down feels that's a price worth paying. Just to be in the limelight. To be in power. To be the godfather of Italy. --Jim Broede

3 comments:

Broede's Broodings said...

By the way, I like the sound of Italian names. My first name in Italian translates to Giacomo. --Jim

Broede's Broodings said...

I also like Italian food. Even better than German fare. But shhhh. I'm not gonna tell my German relatives that. --Jim

Broede's Broodings said...

I like my name in Czech, too. It becomes Vaclav. --Jim