Saturday, December 5, 2009

Winter ain't all that bad.

I wake today to see a layer of ice on the lake. Yes, a thin layer. But neveretheless, ice. I'm not ready to walk on it. I'll wait a week or two for that. Ice on Forest Lake has arrived later than usual. Maybe a sign of global warming. Anyway, the temperature has remained below freezing all day for several days now. Some winters we go 60-some days without getting above freezing. Too often, we don't even get above zero. And I remember hitting 30-some below zero. Not quite as cold as Alaska. But believe me, very, very cold. I went out for a six-mile walk last night. Nice. Comfortable. Because I'm dressed for it. Even bedecked in a ski mask. Another thing. It's been a virtually snowless winter so far. But with the ice here, the snow can't be far behind. By the way, this is no complaint. Winter ain't all that bad. --Jim Broede

1 comment:

Broede's Broodings said...

One of the nicest things about the coming of official winter is that the days start getting longer. --Jim