Monday, February 15, 2010

Doesn't make sense, does it?

I was reading tonight about the weak job market in the U.S. Especially for men. Ages 25 to 54. One out of 5 of 'em are unemployed. And now, for the first time, there are more women than men in the work force. I'm so thankful that I don't have to work. Albeit, if I had to, I'd find a way. I really enjoy not having to work. But if you had told me 20 years ago that I'd be enjoying it, I wouldn't have believed it. Anyway, I wish we had a society in which there was a job for everyone that really wanted to work. Even if it was a mundane job. A way to earn a living. Doing something. I started working when I was 12. And I was never without a job for more than a few weeks. Until I retired in 1998. My gawd, it's been that long. Going on 12 years. I don't know how I'd have handled it if I had lost my job, let's say, when I was 50. And couldn't find work. It'd be awful. But I never had to worry about being without a job. I always had job opportunities. I had choices. But so many, many people have not even a single choice. They're jobless. And they can't find work. Must be a rather depressing feeling. Really, though, government could create jobs. Jobs that serve the common good. Public works projects. And if everybody had a job, it'd boost the economy. Because they'd have money to spend. If there was a national will, it could be done. But the will isn't there. That's sad. But meanwhile, there are plenty of people thriving. Getting rich. Rich far beyond what they need. While others are homeless and jobless. Doesn't make sense, does it? --Jim Broede

No comments: