Sunday, February 21, 2010

Just to satisfy my curiosity.

Had my mother lived instead of dying at 88, she would have turned 96 yesterday. And my father would have become 100 later this year. Causes me to reflect on how my life might have changed. If they were still alive today. With my mother, for instance, I would have visited numerous times. And so my movements out and about would have changed. I would have been in different places at different times. And I may have been killed in a traffic accident. For having been in the wrong place at the wrong time. Or something favorable might have happened. Just a slight shift in sequence of events could well make a difference in all of our lives. I find such speculation fascinating. Back in 1965, when I accepted a job in Minnesota, I also had an opportunity to take other employment in other parts of the country. What if I had? My whole life would have been altered. With a different cast of characters. With an entirely different outcome. I would not have met dear Jeanne and had a happy marriage. When I was in the army and stationed in Germany, I had already received orders to sail back to the USA for discharge. But my uncle in Chicago died, and instead I caught a flight back to the states for the funeral. That changed the whole timing of my life decisions. I was discharged a few weeks earlier than I would have otherwise. And then I might not have lined up the job I did. Everything would have been different because of different timing. It would be interesting to know how that would have altered my life. Only god knows. But I'd like god to tell me some day. Just to satisfy my curiosity. --Jim Broede

No comments: