Saturday, February 20, 2010

The pursuit of happiness.

I think I adapt rather easily to change. For instance, I retired on June 11, 1998. After a career writing for newspapers. The past 29 years of it at the daily newspaper in St. Paul. I thought for a while that I would never retire. That I'd stay gainfully employed in the news business until the day I died. But Jeanne got Alzheimer's. And needed care. And I was becoming disenchanted with newspapering. It wasn't like it used to be. So I retired. And in the almost 12 years since I walked out of the newsroom, I've returned only once. I've adapted to retirement. I love it. And I'm busier than ever. Writing more than ever. But writing what I want to write. Like my blog, for instance. And a loving relationship. Plenty of exercise. Thoughtful ponderings. Travel. Yes, it's called the pursuit of happiness. --Jim Broede

No comments: