Sunday, February 7, 2010

The relentless march of history.

I can't stop the relentless march of history. It's just gonna roll on and on. No matter what I do. I can't change it. For instance, if I had lived in Germany in the 1930s, there's nothing I could have done to stop Hitler from coming to power. It was fated. The times were ripe for Hitler. And there was no way that I could have stopped George Bush from becoming a two-term president. It was fated. Of course, I worry that after Barack Obama serves one term, maybe he'll be succeeded by Sarah Palin. That's a horrible thought. But if it's gonna happen, it's gonna happen. Because it's fated. And I can't do anything about it. I have no control over the big picture of history. So it really makes no sense for me to worry about it. I have to learn to accept it. Maybe grudgingly. But nevertheless, I accept the relentless march of history. --Jim Broede

2 comments:

Broede's Broodings said...

The good thing about fate is that good things are fated, too. Things that happen directly in your favor. Like meeting someone and falling in love. That makes me a romantic idealist. I savor my good fates. I have a guiding angel looking out for me. --Jim

Broede's Broodings said...

My guiding angel has seen to it that I have survived and loved in this life. That has made life worthwhile. That is my ultimate achievement. The fact that I have loved. And still love. In that sense, I have been blessed. --Jim