Saturday, March 20, 2010

Catholics need a female pope.

Hurrah! Hurrah! Hurrah! Yes, I'm cheering for the nuns. An organization of 59,000 nuns that have come out in support of so-called Obamacare. The pending health care reform legislation. That puts the nuns in opposition to the Catholic bishops. The nuns have a more direct experience with real people. The ones affected by the existing grossly inadequate health care system. While the bishops sit in their ivory towers and ruminate over scholarly theological issues. With no pragmatic value for everyday living. Besides, bishops are men. Only men. They have no clue as to a woman's point of view. Because they wall themselves off from women. And like conservative Republicans, they jump to faulty conclusions. Such as that Obamacare would fund abortions. When it clearly doesn't. If the Catholics got women priests and women bishops and maybe even a female pope, it would enliven and modernize the church. --Jim Broede

6 comments:

Broede's Broodings said...

If I were the pope, I'd shake up the church. I'd elevate women to positions of authority in the hierarchy. I'd put them in charge of men. Bet that would really annoy some bishops and cardinals. So be it. --Jim

Broede's Broodings said...

Also, if I were pope, I'd disguise myself occasionally as a Swiss guard. Just to see what's going on. I'd want to mix with ordinary people. --Jim

Broede's Broodings said...

I'd also sell the Vatican's huge collection of riches and use the proceeds to benefit the poor. --Jim

Broede's Broodings said...

And I'd take all the robes worn by bishops and cardinals and burn 'em. I'd encourage everybody to wear jeans and t-shirts. Yes, dress like ordinary people. And mix in with 'em. --Jim

Broede's Broodings said...

I'd insist on an occasional rock 'n roll mass, too. --Jim

Anonymous said...

I guess we don't have to worry, then, about you becoming Pope, do we?